William received a grant of 30 acres on the recommendatio
There was much excitement when the first European families arrived to take up residence. The flat-bottomed punt laden with the settlers and their chattels was towed into Kerikeri by two Maori canoes on the morning of 21 December 1819. Those first settlers were the Rev. John Butler, his wife Hannah, their eighteen-year-old son Samuel, two-year-old daughter Hannah, and their servant Richard Russell; James and Charlotte Kemp; William and Margery Puckey, their son William Gilbert aged fourteen years and three daughters, Caroline, Elizabeth and Jane; Sarah and William Fairburn; William and Elizabeth Bean with their young son William, born in Australia in 1817 and their very young baby George Thomas, born at Rangihoua on 21 October.
On the foreshore, near where the Tea Rooms are today, was a blacksmith's shop, 21 feet by 15 feet and a long building, 60 feet by 15 feet, designed to be a store. Charlotte and James Kemp and Francis Hall moved into the blacksmith's shop while the others, eighteen people in all, took up residence in the store. Living in such crowded and primitive conditions, carrying water from the nearby stream, cooking (at first) out of doors must have been very trying, particularly for the women. For the young mother, Elizabeth Bean, nursing a two-week old baby with another very young child, it was particularly stressful; then, some six months later their three-year-old, William, died (12 July 1820). Three months after their arrival, Sarah Fairburn was delivered of a son, Richard Alexander, on 29 March 1820.
Two of New Zealand's oldest buildings are situated in the Kerikeri Basin. Kemp House and the Stone Store are the only survivors from the Church Missionary Society's second Anglican mission to New Zealand, founded in 1819 on land granted to the Reverend Samuel Marsden by the powerful Nga Puhi chief, Hongi Hika.
Kemp House is the oldest surviving European building in New Zealand. The Stone Store is the country's oldest surviving stone building. Kemp House was built by the Reverend John Gare Butler in 1821-22 as a mission house. From 1824-31 the house was occupied by the lay missionary George Clarke and from mid-1832 by blacksmith and lay missionary lames Kemp and his family. The mission was closed in 1848, but the Kemps stayed on, eventually buying the house from the CMS. Their descendants lived there until 1974 when Ernest Kemp presented the house and its contents to the New Zealand Historic Places Trust
In 1824 William petitioned Sir Thomas Brisbane for an extension to his 30 acres which he had cultivated and on which he had fourteen head of horned cattle. Samuel Masden described him as an "industrious man". He was granted the extra land in July 1824
William applied to Sir Thomas Brisbane in July 1825 for a building allotment to build a four room cottage near Brokenback Bridge, as he was one of the contractors for the steam engine to be erected there
William was granted 80 acres at Menangle (Grant No: 509).|| This property was later called "Mount View"
|Given names||Surname||Age||Given names||Surname||Age||Marriage||Place||Last change|
|Title||Abbreviation||Author||Publication||Individuals||Families||Media objects||Shared notes||Last change|
|Repository name||Sources||Last change|
|Submitter name||Individuals||Families||Last change|