Double Dandy Row (Janet's residence on 5 April 1891) was owned by William Dixon Ltd, who ran the Car…
Double Dandy Row (Janet's residence on 5 April 1891) was owned by William Dixon Ltd, who ran the Carfin and Cleland Mines - Situated near Motherwell. Double Dandy Row consisted of 8 One-apartment houses, Rental £4 11s in 1910.
* One storey, stone built - Erected over 60 years before 1910 - no damp-proof course - Walls plastered on solid - Floors below ground level - Brick floors in kitchen, wood floors in rooms - Plaster on walls broken in some houses and back wall of some houses slightly damp.
* No overcrowding apartments fair size
* No gardens no wash houses no coal cellars
* 4 water closets at rear of row, giving one closet for every 4 houses
* Dustbins provided
* Sinks inside with gravitation water
* Drainage to main sewer within a special district
* Scavenged 3 times per week within a special district
SOUR @Website - www.mining-villages.co.uk - Scottish Mining Villages @